Welcome to the High School Resource Portal! We are always adding new resources, so make sure to check back often. If you have any questions or would like additional help implementing the standards, please contact us here.
Illinois Personal Finance Challenge
2023 Registration Open Now!
The Illinois Personal Finance Challenge (IPFC) is an exciting competition that makes it fun and easy to engage students while assessing personal finance learning taking place. High school students compete in teams to test their knowledge.
How It Works
- High school teachers must register a team of 3-4 students. Online teacher registration is open February 1 through April 15, 2023.
- High school students compete in the first round of competition online, with an open testing window from April 3 to April 24, 2023.
- The winning team from Illinois advances to the National Finals in Cleveland, Ohio on June 4-5, 2023. The Finals will be held at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. Lodging and food will be covered for the team and a coach.
Registration is FREE and practice tests and resources are available online for all teams.
To learn more and register, visit the Illinois Personal Finance Challenge website.
Access Zone for Low-Income Schools
The Access Zone seeks equity by providing additional opportunities and resources for students from low-income schools. Teams qualify for the Access Zone if 50% or more students identified as low-income. Check the Illinois Report Card for your school – low-income is listed in the students category.
How Access Zone Works
- Teachers from qualified schools (50% or higher low-income students as reported on the Illinois School Report Card) may register for the Access Zone.
- Students must be first-time participants to compete in the Access Zone. Teachers can return to compete in the Access Zone in the future. Students can compete in the regular competition in future years, just not the Access Zone a subsequent time.
- Students must take a pre and post survey to qualify for the benefits of the Access Zone.
- The winning team from the Access Zone will advance to the National Finals in addition to the overall Illinois winner. The Finals will be held at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland in Cleveland, Ohio on June 4-5, 2023.
Benefits of Access Zone
- Personalized resources and lessons
- Six live webinars presented by financial volunteers and a chance to win gift cards
- Additional practice opportunities
- Transportation to the National Finals is paid for in addition to lodging and food
Complete the Teacher Registration form, which will be reviewed by program administrators (there isn’t a separate form for Access Zone). Program administrators will contact you directly if you qualify for the Access Zone. If you have any questions about the Access Zone, you may contact Helen Roberts at email@example.com.
The Stock Market Game
This unique game is used by thousands of students nationwide each year. Students participate in teams to research and evaluate stocks, bonds, and mutual funds to make informed, economic decisions. Competitions are held each Fall and Spring. There are also connections to Common Core with the extension program, InvestWrite. For Stock Market Game participants, InvestWrite is a writing competition on investment related topics. It is entirely FREE for a class to participate. In addition, there are many resources online, and a dedicated staffer to help answer all of your questions. Explore below to learn more:
Explore the links below to find lesson plans, assessments, and more.
The new Social Studies standards went into effect during the 2017-2018 school year. For the first time, they include Financial Literacy. In addition, inquiry skills were added to this group of standards to equip students with the skills necessary for college, career, and civic life. Please click through the links to read through requirements.