The Midwest Investors Diversity Initiative (MIDI) is a coalition of institutional investors dedicated to increasing racial, ethnic, and gender diversity on corporate boards of companies headquartered in Midwestern states.
With over $750 billion in assets under management and advisement, the coalition uses corporate engagements and shareholder rights to protect shareholder value and maximize returns.
“We know that diversity is good for business. We also know that change is hard, especially inside our nation’s boardrooms. Many corporate leaders agree that diversity benefits their operations and board performance. Our focus is to help them navigate this change.”
- Treasurer Michael Frerichs
- City of Chicago’s Treasurer’s Office
- Illinois State Treasurer’s Office (lead)
- Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
- School Employees Retirement System of Ohio
- SEIU Master Trust
- Sundance Family Foundation
- Segal Marco Advisors (co-lead)
- Seventh Generation Interfaith
- Trinity Health
- UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust
- Wespath Benefits and Investments
What We Do
MIDI offers guidance and tools to help companies take steps to diversify their boards, working with company nominating and governance committees to:
- Adopt a policy for the search and inclusion of minority and female board candidates
- Require minority and female candidates to interview for every open board seat
- Instruct third party search firms to include such candidates in the initial pool
- Expand the candidate pool to include candidates from non-traditional sources
Since the coalition formed in 2016, MIDI has successfully engaged 12 companies that appointed diverse board members and 24 companies that adopted a diverse search policy.
Resources and Additional Information
Should you have any questions or inquiries, please contact the Illinois State Treasurer's Office at (312) 814-8950 or MWVD@illinoistreasurer.gov.